The Digital Business Delivery Solutions Architect is responsible for designing business solutions and capabilities in alignment with the enterprise architecture developed by the Chief Architect that support the organizations core business with a focus on life insurance, underwriting, claims, finance and operations. This role primarily collaborates with cross functional teams within the Enterprise Solutions Delivery department, ensuring that outcomes comply with the Enterprise Architectural vision, quality, and security standards. The Solutions Architect is a member of a cross functional team that collaborates with business customers to define the capabilities and solutions.
The Solutions Architect will define how those capabilities will be built, and will support timely delivery of those capabilities and solutions including participating in planning and requirements definition in collaboration with business owners and product managers to ensure that the time and effort of the Solutions Delivery teams is producing the greatest value and is in alignment with the overall strategy.
The following duties reflect the primary responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Incumbent(s) may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Technical Solution Design
* Designs enterprise solutions and capabilities that are scalable, adaptable, and in synchrony with the ever-changing business needs in alignment with the architecture strategy, policies, standards and procedures set by the Chief Architect.
* Promotes shared infrastructure and applications to reduce costs and improve information flow. Contributes to a reduction in IT complexity, enforcement of discipline and standardization of IT planning activities, consolidation of data and applications, and better interoperability of the systems. Facilitates the reuse of ideas, components, services, and proven patterns across various solutions.
* Documents and communicates architectural requirements for solutions and capabilities.
* Maintains architectural documentation of solutions built and supported by the cross functional Solutions Delivery teams.
* Collaborates closely with business customers, product management personnel, and development team members to design and deliver business solutions.
* Supports the articulation and communication of the IT Strategy to KofC constituents.
* Collaborates with the Chief Architect and Enterprise Infrastructure Services to assess technology lifecycles and determines how individual technologies or standards will change, be versioned or transitioned out
* Provides metrics for key performance indicator measurement in support the planning process, organizational objectives, and the strategic vision.
* Creates and maintains a consistent Web site architectural structure across the organization's Web applications.
* Collaborates with Web developers in the development and integration of graphical and multimedia components into Web sites and other Web applications.
* Collaborates with User Experience (UX) team to ensure that the user is at the center of all solution design decisions.
* Models, simulates or prototypes the behavior of proposed systems components to enable approval by stakeholders.
Collaborative Team Environment Participation
* Provides deep, subject matter expert knowledge for domain technologies.
* Provides a broad, systems-thinking perspective to the solutions delivery teams.
* Participates in planning at the department and team levels.
* Takes responsibility for delivering on commitments to teams: their own team and those with whom they collaborate.
* Plans directly with business customers ensuring that the solution needed by the Knights of Columbus is the solution that is delivered.
* Participates in continuous improvement activities with their own team as well as the teams whom which they collaborate.
* Promotes continuous delivery pipeline and DevOps capabilities.
* Defines subsystems and their interfaces, allocates responsibilities to subsystems, understands solution deployment, and communicates requirements for interactions with solution context.
Business Relationship Management
* Gracefully responds to emerging business needs and changes in priority.
* Cultivates relationships with business stakeholders, product managers, stakeholders and users of the systems they design and support.
* Maintains in-depth knowledge of the business processes they support.
* Collaborates with business partners on generating and analyzing innovative ideas and technologies across the business.
* Develops and maintains current and future state solution architectures.
Information System & Technology Architecture
* Actively participates in the Architecture community of practice.
* Designs and oversee implementation of business solutions.
* Maintains in-depth knowledge of the organization's technologies and architectures.
* Actively uses the shared infrastructure and application roadmap to reduce costs and improve how information flows.
* Conducts research into current and emerging technologies and issues.
* Tracks and evaluates new standards, technologies and trends in architecture, development, design, and delivery.
Architecture Process & Governance
* Adheres to the architectural governance process.
* Adheres to Enterprise technology standards and policies in solution designs and recommendations.
* Executes the Enterprise Architecture Governance processes.
* Executes the IT strategy as defined by the IT Leadership and Enterprise Architecture Team.
* Actively participates in architecture review sessions with the Enterprise Architecture team.
* Enforces and adheres to IT standards, policies and Enterprise architectural plans
* Ensures that project documentation captures significant architectural decisions.
Percent of Time
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Expertise with a broad base of digital web and mobile products, technologies, platforms, patterns, frameworks, and methodologies
* Experience with single sign-on systems, role-based access management systems, and PII data security best practices.
* Experience with User Centered Design practices.
* Experience user facing web application development and measurement.
* Experience with environments containing multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments.
* Ability to learn and adjust quickly to a dynamic and changing environment
* Microsofft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* Knowledge of ITSM standards and processes.
* Expertise with typical multi-tier architectures: web servers, caching, application servers, load balancers, and storage.
* Experience developing and refining best practices for implementation and maintenance of life insurance platforms including underwriting, claims, finance, and operations.
* Command of sound software design principles and patterns is required.
* Familiarity with Marketing and Advertising is desirable.
* Excellent communication, presentation, influencing, and reasoning skills.
* Ability to clearly communicate complex concepts with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
* Strong leadership, interpersonal skills and ability to work cross-functionally.
* Strong business judgment and decision-making skills. Ability to identify, prioritize, and articulate highest impact initiatives.
* Experience working/leading projects executed using Waterfall and Agile Methodologies
* Collaborates with, Strategy and Architecture, Enterprise Information Management, and Solution Delivery Teams to ensure business requirements translate into business solutions resulting in business value.
* Clearly communicates the user impact of solution design decisions to non-technical team members using a variety of communication styles.
* Collaborates with Enterprise Infrastructure Services teams to implement solutions and execute the architectural roadmap.
* Collaborates with stakeholders at all levels
* Participates in measurement of system key performance indicators and recommends improvement activities.
Outside of KofC:
* Cultivates a knowledge of emerging technologies and best practices and evangelizes then within the Enterprise Architecture and Solutions Delivery teams.
Education and Experience Requirements
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, computer engineering, system analysis, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
Experience: 10 or more years of IT and business/industry work experience including architecture design and deployment, systems lifecycle management, and infrastructure planning and operations.
Licensing/Certification: ITIL Foundation certificate.
* Able to communicate and drive value to the business through effective solutions design.
* Contributes to the realization of the vision of the CTO and Enterprise Architect.
* Positively impacts the quality of business solutions delivered by Enterprise Solutions Delivery teams.
* Simplifies the IT landscape and footprint
* Maintains architectural documentation
* Provides expert knowledge on solution design for multiple teams guiding the organization to a more efficient application of business technology.
Problem Solving & Complexity
* Designs components using appropriate modelling techniques following agreed architectures, design standards, patterns and methodology.
* Identifies and evaluates alternative design options and tradeoffs.
* Reviews, verifies and improves own designs against specifications.
* Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
* Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
* Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
* Ability to present ideas and solutions in business-friendly and user-friendly language.